Fascinating Facts from Journalist James Van Hise's Roddenberry: The Man Who Created Star Trek
1) What science fiction magazine most influenced young Gene Roddenberry?
2) To which kind of magazine did he sell his first stories: crime, science fiction, flying, military, adventure, western, horror?
3) Why did Roddenberry become a cop and how did it help start his career as a television writer?
4) What controversial stance cost him a chance to write for the big budget show Riverboat?
5) What TV show did he create and produce featuring four future Star Trek crew members—and who were they?
6) Why did he decide to write a science fiction TV show?
7) Why did Desilu Productions decide to back Star Trek when everyone else had turned it down?
8) What was the original preproduction shape of the Enterprise hull?
9) Who orchestrated the letter writing campaign that changed the network’s mind about cancelling TOS at the end of the second season?
10) What kind of wedding ceremony did he and Majel Barrett have?
11) What controversial movie did he produce right after TOS ended?
12) What incident made him decide to give the mutants on Genesis II two navels?
13) What classic novel gave Roddenberry the inspiration for Genesis II?
14) Why did Paramount fight against the Star Trek series being revived?
15) Why did Leonard Nimoy refuse to appear in Star Trek: The Motion Picture and what changed his mind?
16) Why didn’t Roddenberry’s name appear in the writing credits for Star Trek: The Motion Picture?
17) Why did Leonard Nimoy want Spock to die in The Wrath of Khan and why did he decide to revive him in The Search for Spock?
18) After all his battles with Paramount, Why did Roddenberry agree to be the producer on Star Trek: The Next Generation?
19) Why did David Gerrold and D. C. Fontana both quit The Next Generation?
20) What did William Shatner do to insult 16 year-old Will Wheaton that enraged Gene Roddenberry?
21) Why did Roddenberry trust the Next Gen producers to be faithful to his vision after his death?
How many could you answer?
1-5 Rank: Crewmember
6-10 Rank: Ensign
11-15 Rank: Lieutenant
16-19 Rank: Commander
You will learn the answers to all these questions as you read this book or you may skip to the end of the book and read the answers there.